Dark cats are a type of cat that is very preferred by cat owners. Like many shades of dark, dark cat breeds are favored for their unique characteristics, different types of behavior and relatively easy grooming requirements. If you’re looking to add a great new addition to your home, take a look at the dark cat breeds we’ve shared below and learn more about them.
Since the dark cat is a hybrid cat that is a mix of many cats, it has no specific origin. However, the origin of tabby cats, which make up a large part of dark cat cats, goes back to Ancient Egypt.
Dark cats cost between $700 and $1500, depending on the breed’s history and hereditary traits.
🔍 General Specifications
- They are hybrid cats and have many subspecies.
- They are not usually one color. Their feathers are patterned and can have any color. Feather density and feather length also vary.
- These cats, which are mostly medium sized, can have different sizes. But in general, adult Dark cats weigh between 3 and 8 kilograms. Females have a smaller head and body than males.
- Its ears are erect.
- Their eyes are usually round and large, but Dark cats with almond eyes are also plentiful.
- Although each one has different and unique features, Dark cats are generally very active and playful creatures.
- They are cautious animals. When they sense danger, they first run away and then defend themselves. They do their best to survive.
- They like to spend most of their days sleeping and the rest of their time playing games.
- They are good hunters. Hunting small animals such as birds and insects is almost a game for them.
- Although they have a high capacity to live on the street, they are very happy at home and adapt to their living spaces immediately.
- They are intelligent and curious cats.
- It is not possible to train them. They are not docile like other cat breeds. They like to be on their own and to be alone.
- They are generally in good health. They are disease resistant animals.
- When kept at home, their average lifespan is 12 years. But with good care, this period can be extended much longer.
Because dark cats are hybrids, they can have many different temperaments. The temperament of dark cats is shaped according to the environment they live in and their relationships with people. In general, dark cats have great affection for their owners as they are used to living with people.
Dark cats, which are intelligent and careful cat breeds, get on well with people they bond with. They especially like to play games with children thanks to their intelligence.
However, dark cats brought up in a bad environment can be introverted and quiet. Introverted and quiet dark cat owners can form an intimate and emotional bond with their cats if they give their cats the necessary attention.
Dark cats get along better with dogs than cats and can often last for a long time.
📹 Meet Dark Cat
The lifespan of well-kept dark cats is between 15 and 19 years.
☁️ Communication with Children and Pets
Dark cats do not like loud environments as they have overdeveloped hearing. Although they may not spend a lot of time with children, they love them and often get close with children.
Dark cats have a very good relationship with other animals and can make good friends with dogs.
Black cats bond with their owners with a deep bond and usually do not leave their side. They like to be taken care of, even if they’re not too hungry for attention. It is enough for them to be with their owners and not be alone.
Among the features of the black cat, its strong body immediately stands out. The black cat, which does not get sick easily because it is a hybrid breed, is prone to various diseases, but it is not possible to catch these diseases when properly cared for. Diseases to which it is rarely prone include respiratory problems, hyperthromic cardiomyopathy, gingivitis, eye inflammation.
Dark cats need protein because their energy consumption is high. To ensure that dark cats are well fed, it is sufficient to make sure that their daily nutritional value is rich in protein. You should avoid changing the cat’s food frequently.
This noble cat is also among the easily trainable cats. It listens to its owner with its structure attached to it and immediately understands it with its intelligence. They can do anything you want if they are trained on a daily basis. Since it is a perfect breed for the home environment, it never acts to harm it.
Although they are considered to be durable in terms of health, it is important to be careful. Veterinary control and vaccination follow-up are very important, especially when adopting Dark cats that are accustomed to street conditions. It is quite natural for them to react to the vaccine due to street conditions, but as long as the drug order is taken care of, there will be no big problems in their health.